Sunday 5 June 2022

sea career

Either go through the recruitment companies through the forums or write to the shipping companies directly. Make a list of all the major recruitment consultants and of the major shiiping companies.


Maersk


DP
But on topic I suspect dry cargo is virtually dead for British officers. As mentioned Maersk are the only big one off the top of my head that are still employing us.


Carisbrooke Shipping? Have you tried the agencies Seamariner, Genesis, Clyde, Faststream etc to see what they have? Contact companies like Columbia Shio Management directly?


The Jubilee Sailing Trust are looking for volunteer 3rd officers, it's not a paid job but it'd at least get you a stamp in your discharge book.


Absolutely, you almost always have to follow up applications with a phone call, possibly even a few phone calls. Keep records (or store e-mails) of you get replies from and who you talk to. It's always good to have first names and direct e-mail addresses of people in the recruitment agencies and shipping companies. Even after you get the first job, you never know when you might be knocking at the door of the agencies/shipping companies again for another job.
Also, make yourself available for temp work and be ready to fly at any moment, if you make it very clear that you are available to fly within 24 hours then you become even more employable. I once applied for a job, never received a reply, but suddenly had a set of joining instructions and flight details arrive from 'Seattle' for a 4th Officer position (no prizes for guessing which company and agency) for flights leaving within 2 hours from Heathrow... (They did change me onto the next flight a few hours later, was a mad dash to the airport)


Hi Neil,


There seem to be a few jobs advertised that may suit your situation:
http://www.clyderecruit.com/seagoing-jobs/view/-3/ (depends on how urgent it is that they have 3/O, bonus if you have RoRo time as a Cadet)
http://www.genesis-marine.co.uk/vaca...All&sector=All (see if they'll accept an EDH ticket - worth a try)


http://www.mnrltd.com/vacancies.php (second down - Personnel Officer), it's a way in? Jobs been advertised a while now...


When calling companies directly and getting a negative response try to ask if they are aware of any other companies who are currently recruiting - make sure you get the name of a person in the other company. Most companies recruiting from the UK know each other quite well and may be aware of fleet developments. It's amazing what difference it makes asking for a specific person in the 'HR/Manning Dept' and saying I was given your number by John Smith at ABC Shipping. As an introduction it certainly differentiates you from 'do you have any vacancies for...'


I had a 3rd mate call me a month after I spoke to him to thank me for referring him onto another company where he got a temporary contract.


Good luck


http://uk.linkedin.com/in/cldoyle












There seems to be plenty of temping work available, the agency emails come in almost daily for ferries, fishery protection, standby and occasionally dredgers.
More cruise lines seem to be employing British Officers now (RCCL, Windstar, Holland America Line, Seabourn, Hebriddean, Princess, Carnival UK, Saga, Thomson etc) although admitedly they aren't as desperate as a few years ago during the rapid fleet expansions.


Offshore industry of course are almost always advertising, but for Deck Officers the DP ticket is the big hurdle.


Superyachting has plenty of new tonnage, but is HIGHLY competitive.


I bummed around for two months after I qualified, purely because I felt I deserved a break after the work and stress of phase 5 and the preceeding years. When I got serious about finding a job as well as sending all the usual suspects CVs and applications, I got back in touch with my training company (Chiltern) who quickly set me up with an interview with Viking Recruitment for a position with Holland America. They didn't have any immediate vacancies for 4th Officers but said they'd let me know, they also said that none of the cruise companies they represented would take me on as a 3rd mate yet as I had no experience in that role. Meanwhile I contacted one of the Captains I'd sailed with on Windstar (one of the companies Viking do recruitment for), asking if they had any 3rd mate positions and could he please put in a good word to Viking for me. I was offerd a 3rd mate position on Windstar the next day. The point of my story? Use your contacts! Email captains and chief mates you've sailed with and your training company, use the people you know already, who can vouch for your suitability for a job, ask your tutors if they've heard of any positions... I've said it before a million times, IMHO, it's not what you know it's who you know


#
your training are obligated to help you find work.

Definitely call Viking again, the 4/O job is a good one for learning. Call up the big shipping companies (Maersk, BP, Shell etc ) and with the agencies just keep calling and emailing.

P&O

http://www.officercadet.com/showthread.php/9661-Is-DP-worth-it

No comments:

Post a Comment